Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: If Lycos can attack spammer sites, can we all start doing it?

From: Kyle Maxwell <krmaxwell () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:48:18 -0600

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:47:06 +0000, n3td3v <xploitable () gmail com> wrote:
Thought:
Hey, thanks for the insight. I can't see Lycos introducing the
screensaver without talking with legal teams first, so surely we can
presume everything is legal and above board?! Otherwise, why would
Lycos want to put themselves in a legal tangle? Unless they weighed up
the legal costs against the profit they would make from the PR stunt,
from which all I can see, is all this whole thing appears to be.

It's entirely possible that their lawyers cleared it but that doesn't
necessarily make it really above board; if lawyers always agreed on
what was allowed, we wouldn't have so many corporate lawsuits. :) They
may be standing on the principle of "these are just a bunch of website
visits" without taking into account the fact that there's a stated
intent beyond just visiting the sites.

This is probably going to get a lot messier for Lycos before it's all over.

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell () gmail com]

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.