Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: *nix data wipe tools

From: Pavel Machek <pavel () ucw cz>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:55:04 +0100

Hi!

I've posted the final versions of a few simple, free shell scripts that i've
been working on to make data hygiene more convenient on *nix systems. Thanks
to list members who helped test them and contributed improvements.

Too simple, I'd say. Imagine sensitive file (/etc/shadow?). It is
subsequently freed and now is reused by one-byte /var/something/lock.

No programs I know will wipe this properly, not even on ext2 :-(.

                                                                Pavel
--
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html