Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ***INTERLAND*** 's default vps PROBABLY has REMOTE COMPROMISE vulnerability

From: Liu Die Yu <liudieyu () umbrella name>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:38:47 +0800

thanks for pointing out the possibility of backport. interland is running freebsd4 instead of redhat linux, but there is also backport for freebsd.

i got a question here:
i am the administrator of the interland VPS running apache whose version # is 1.3.22.
how can i know if it has backport or not?

(
ah. the best direct way is to ask VPS guys by creating a support ticket. but as i said, no one responded to this question. INTERLAND guys usually respond to support ticket in 12 hours and solve problem effectively, but they failed to respond this time.
)

the lumpalaya wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot to include this link, in case it happens to be the
case.. not that I would know, I dont use Interland...

https://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

Just curious -- did you make sure to account for the fact that lots of
people backport fixes so that version numbers dont always tell
you that something is exploitable?  (linux dists seem keen on this a lot).

INTERLAND is the most popular web hosting corporation online - even
bigger than VERIO - according to 3rd-party survey. INTERLAND's default
vps PROBABLY has REMOTE COMPROMISE vulnerability. "PROBABLY" means i
just checked the version # of apache, but have not exploited it yet.

when i was planning to run my webapp on INTERLAND's web server, i found
the server is running apache.1.3.22 and php4.0.x. after checking
security record at httpd.apache.org AND php.net, i found both apache and
php contain serious vulnerabilities:

the most serious problem is critical: apache1.3.22 contains REMOTE
COMPROMISE vulnerability:
   Apache Chunked encoding vulnerability  CVE-2002-0392

i created support ticket in my account, and waited for about 36 hours,
but no one responded. then i closed the ticket. it looks like the
support staff don't care for remote compromise - or too busy to fix it.
so INTERLAND users must download and install apache themselves.

for demonstration purpose, the following INTERLAND websites are running
apache1.3.22
209.203.227.116,  209.203.227.115, 209.203.227.114
209.203.227.117 is an exception - it's my web server with apache1.3.32
and php5 :-))))

Regards,

Liu Die Yu
http://umbrella.name/people/liu.dieyu/