Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:52:34 -0400

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:17:44 +0200, Maarten said:

The only thing Todd (and I) are trying to say is that it is possible to rename
after the fact.  I don't #!%$&* care how many old Cobol programs need
adapting for that to "get" possible, but the fact remains that it IS.

The question is *in fact* what ROI the companies get for modifying all that
old Cobol.  "Possible" and "worth doing" are two different things...

Don't start again about how your current procedures may prevent or complicate
that.  Worse integration problems, by far more complex and bigger companies
or conglomerates are being tackled every day.  Yeah. To name a few ?

Note that here the ROI is pretty easy - you fix the compatibility or the company
goes under.

How about mergers, or international intelligence-exchange between law
enforcement agencies.  Do you think that they let anyone stop them by
complaining that database format X isn't readily compatible with format Y ?
No. They fix it, they make it work together no matter what.

Actually, that isn't always the case.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/report.aspx?aid=332&sid=100

Yes, a database so borked that copying it could break it.

So don't start about how impossible it is for you to rename one simple entry.

It's not a question of being *impossible*.  But if it costs them US$750K to do it,
and the expected return is under US$750K, why should they do it?

Hell, we're talking about an industry which as a whole *continues* to keep
spewing out 'We removed a virus/worm' warnings to known not-at-fault addresses
- presumably the (probably very low) cost of ceasing to do so is
counterbalanced by the advertising benefit of the spam. If they won't do *THAT*
little thing that's *obviously* in the public interest, why should they change
the way they name stuff, at probably higher cost, and less obvious benefit?