Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: broken virus / worm email has attachment not found by grisoft proxy scanner

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:30:28 +1200

Denis McMahon wrote:

I've had a couple of suspicious emails this week with headers, blank
line, a line of text, mime headers.

And that is _all_ ???

If so, what are you worrying about?

If not, why didn't you describe all the sections in the message
structure?

Thunderbird doesn't see the mime attachment due to the broken headers,

_Which_ headers are broken?

Do you mean there is something "bad" (c.f. the relevant RFCs) in the
Email headers, or in the MIME headers???

which is good, but nor does the grisoft email proxy scanner, which is
bad, especially as I guess that certain broken applications (no I don't
have outlook [express] on my system) might try and be snart and find the
attachment.

But your description of the structure of these messages above says
nothing about any "attachments"...

This might be broken malware sending unusable stuff out, but my worry is
that somene may have found a technique that will sneak an attachment
past some a-v scanners in a "broken" format that certain popular email
apps will try and fix, possibly putting active malware on the hard disk.

Are these "attachments" in the ~1.5KB - 2KB size range?

If so, I'd say there is a reasonable chance they are the "IPs I've
already hit" log-only (aka "corrupted") Mydoom.O messages.  These
_should_ appear in any of the forms of message Mydoom.O can produce
which includes attachment-only (blank message part) through various
"clever" SE message forms to "binary gibberish" messages.  Further, the
base64 encoded attachment can also be "normal" or "corrupted" (spaces,
odd line-breaks inserted where they are not allowed by the spec --
Outlook and OE (and several other MUAs) happily ignore these "encoding
errors" and "correctly" decode the intended attachment.

I tried to talk to grisoft about this, but all I get back is "you have
to pay to talk to us cheapskate" ... whilst I can agree that they might
not want to provide tech support to users of their free scanner, does
anyone have an email address at grisoft for submitting suspicious items
that have got past their proxy scanner?

Yes but you'll have to contact me off-list as I won't publish the
details here.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.