Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Cool Web Search

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:02:41 +0530

I have work to do..and to tell you the true, CWS isn't a problem
for me? Why because we have real network security. Desktop security is the
last line of defense. Multi-tier security will stop most spyware at the gate
and it will never get to you.

to DO THIS you still need to know the address of the CWS name server to block on the webproxy / ids / firewall combo so
still for the first line of defence we need to have all the uptodate info.

I watched one student try to create a program to remove CWS and he did a
very good job, but he couldn't keep up. I can't blame him for that. He was
fighting a team of programmers that were getting paid to write
this junk allday long. Some system admin spending three hours on a program will help
everyone that day with one variant..but will be useless when a new variant
comes out.

this would be a great project for the sysadmin community i think every one contributes bits and pieces for the sf.net
project ( which i dont know exists or not but anyone can always start one )

Plus - using some tool that doesn't completely remove this spyware could
give people false protect. Thinking their system is clean -
because they ran
program X - but it is still e-mailing information.

There needs to be a joining of Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware, but spyware is
faster spreading and harder to remove then most viruses. Why do
you think AV companies stay out of the spyware game?

no they dont the latest version of both the norton antivirus and mcafee scan would also both have this capability of
detecting this spyware but has to be enabled manually in the options....

-aditya

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html