Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AV Naming Convention

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:53:36 -0400

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:44:56 CDT, Frank Knobbe said:

standardized. First representative of an AV shop that raises the hand
says "We got a new one! Can't give details of course since you are a
competitor. But if you find the same thing in your research, let's call
it Humptydumpty-2."
Whoever finds the virus first has first choice on the name. No sharing
of information required, just agreement on a name.

Of course, I *didnt* find the same thing, so I called it Jabberwocky-3.
Only later did we find out it was the same thing.

Only way to do that sanely is the way tropical storms are done - make up
a *long* list beforehand, and as each AV vendor raises their hand, the
get the next name in the list.

Remember guys - I may need a name for the variant I'm about to push
a signature out the door *before* I have any way of finding out that you've
got a different variant.