Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: Question for DNS pros

From: John Hall <j.hall () f5 com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:23:53 -0700

Ron DuFresne wrote:

Still following here...

adding oneself to the list John mentioned might be the eaisier tack in
this situation, and make it so one is not hit by new implimentations, as
long as BIG-IP sites are not able to configure themselves out of the
do-not-probe listing as well;

<John Hall>
3-DNS does maintain a "do-not-probe" list to which you can be added, if
the 3-DNS's probe traffic is too obnoxious for you.
</John Hall>
The do-not-probe list is maintained per site (or per group of associated
3-DNS's), not globally (although that's an interesting idea that I'll
forward to the developers).  The whole purpose for this probe traffic
is to improve service to the customers of a web site and probes are only
sent after a customer's local DNS server queries the 3-DNS.  If a customer
stops querying the 3-DNS, then after a while, the 3-DNS will stop probing
back.  We are doing everything we can to avoid generating much probe
traffic.  The per-site probes should never be more than a few packets
per hour in the default configurations and even a really aggressive
configuration should generate no more than 16-20 packets per hour per site.

Though, I must admit, I'm none to fond of opt-outs rather than opt-ins.
I agree in most cases, although I do think that with the Internet you just
have to have somewhat thicker skin.  It's a tradeoff between getting good
response when you visit Yahoo, Google, CNN, your bank, etc. and only getting
the packets you approve of coming in your wire.  I admit that I'm *much*
more concerned with the 10000 attempts per day to deliver spam to my
personal ".net" domain (which only has 4 valid email destinations) than I
am with content delivery network probes that are only sent in response to
my browsing.  :)

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.
--
John Hall              Test Manager - Switch Team             F5 Networks, Inc.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html