Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Automated ssh scanning

From: Tig <tigger () onemoremonkey com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:28:24 +1000

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:08:15 -0500 (CDT)
Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com> wrote:

the real thing this user most likely suffered from was the weak
account passwd double, guest:guest.  Now, if the admin and other
account were setup with strong passwd's and this account was either
setup with a strong passwd or not setup at all might be a better test
of the stability of ssh and the debain setup in question.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

I think some people are not really reading or understanding what is
going on. The box was a default install with one or two weak passwords
for _user_ accounts and a _strong_ password for the root.

Withing a short while, the root account was compromised, after the weak
user account was broken. I suggest people re-read what Richard Verwayen
has been saying (in German English, but still very readable :])

Basically, if you have a weak password on a user account, your
root account on a Debain box is screwed, other *nix distros maybe as
well.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html