Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The lowdown on SSH vulnerability

From: "Joe Shevland" <jshevland () ozemail com au>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:36:07 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Berg" <daniel () eds de>
To: "Carl Livitt" <carl () learningshophull co uk>
Cc: <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] The lowdown on SSH vulnerability

Nice conversation, makes clear why Theo is loved by so many people.

Without seeing the original email chain in its entirety, not that I want(ed
in part) to - well, here's a guy thats had very little sleep, has
contributed to the open source community software that thousands use, and is
responsibly trying to fix the problem (probably in the face of an enormous
amount of pressure and outside demands). And he's having his laundry aired
on this list, and then further attacked because he's not being diplomatic
about it?

Unless I'm missing something, is Theo part of a company that is charging
excessive fees for software and services? If he is, then people that
purchase those services of course have a right to ask for personal support
(and expect courteous responses).

So what we know now is that possibly core devices like Firewalls and
Switches and whatnot could be attacked as well. Can anyone confirm this?
Any suggestions on how to workaround this?

Given the protocol, encryption requirements, and nature of problem that
we're talking about, *and* that you've mentioned 'Firewalls' and 'Switches'
and 'whatnot', do you really expect someone to come up with a workaround for
'those' devices? Specific vendors etc are a different matter, as FreeBSD has
shown with its patches.

Cheers,
Joe

Cheers