Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Backdoor.Sdbot.N Question

From: "Bojan Zdrnja" <Bojan.Zdrnja () LSS hr>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:07:53 +1200

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
James Patterson Wicks
Sent: Tuesday, 9 September 2003 8:18 a.m.
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Backdoor.Sdbot.N Question

Anyone know how Backdoor.Sdbot.N spreads?  This morning we
had several users pop up with this trojan (or a new variant).
 These users generated a ton of traffic until their machines
were unplugged from the network.  There systems have all the
markers for the Backdoor.Sdbot.N trojan (registry entries,
etc), but was not picked up by the Norton virus scan.  In
fact, even it you perform a manual scan after the trojan was
discovered, it is still not detected in the scan.

As far as I saw on couple of systems, usually it's downloaded by separate
worm/tool/whatever.
Mimail (which some companies detect as TrojanDropper.JS.Mimail.b), for
example, will download and execute a file from a particular website. That
file can (of course) be Backdoor.Sdbot.

Also, I saw several instances of Backdoor.Coreflood trojan on some client
machines. They got this trojan when users went to Web sites which had a
VBScript which in turn is a dropper for the trojan. Those scripts usually
use the vulnerability described in MS03-032.

I would also like to know if this is also an indicator of not
having the patch for the Blaster worm.

Probably not - I suspect they went to some Web site which had dropper
Vbscript on it.

Regards,

Bojan Zdrnja

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.