Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [tool] the new p0f 2.0.1 is now out

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 05:07:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Peter van den Heuvel wrote:

Hi,

UDP port 53 gets queried on several of the firewalls that I maintain
(and that do not provide any domain name services) from netblocks that
are owned by microsoft and realmedia (mostly). None of the machines
behind these firewalls are allowed any external DNS directly. The
queries are rather massive (thousands per week).

Searches on google did not turn up anything and I don't remember seeing
anything on the lists either (though I migh have prematurely deleted
something relevant because of the noise ;^)

It does not realy hurt us, but I'm still quite curious what this
actually is. Anybody got a pointer?

Marcus Ranum did a writeup on this tool an issue or two back in the
information security mag;

http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/2003/jun/cooltools.shtml

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html