Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:27:31 -0400

Oh come on.  We don't expect our mechanics to brake and steer for us,
fer cryin' out loud.  We're not talking about *maintaining the computer.
We're talking about *operating* it.  Things like passwords, awareness of
attachment dangers, the need for routine patching (think oil changes)
and up to date antivirus software (think gas).  The car mechanic takes
care of repairs and maintenance, yes, but the driver is the one who has
to bring the car in.  That means they have to be *aware* that
maintenance is required.  They have to realize that if they don't change
the oil every 3000 miles they will have long term problems.

I believe I can safely say that easily 75% of my users would recognize that their computer needed attention if it started billowing huge noxious clouds of black smoke.

Okay, 50% at a minimum.

As an aside, I loved this quote:

"We counted the number of application and operating systems failures and found that Windows XP Professional ran over 30 times as long without encountering problems as those systems running Windows 98 SE."

http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/reliability.asp

Err, congratulations?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html