Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Pudent default security - Was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

From: j <frobozz () frotz us>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:33:35 -0400

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 05:57, Steve Wray wrote:
Ok ok, 'Compulsory windowing operating systems'
as compared with operating systems whose windowing
desktop has a non-windowing layer underneath
(and, in case anyone hadn't noticed, (in the case of Linux at least)
has perfectly adequate 'office' type desktop).

I know that there are some nice tools for doing remote and bulk admin
for the latest iterations of the Windows operating system, but from
what I've seen, they lack maturity and often cause more trouble
than they help prevent (DCOM? Am I right? Does anyone leave remote
registry on?)

Active Directory.  Domain Administrator.  Group Policy.  These things
are easy to handle in a properly built corporate Windows network, all
centrally, with a single 'wave of the hand'.  In theory, at least.  ;^)

The same is certainly NOT true of the masses of end-user boxes barfing 3
million pings/hour out their broadband.  As the report (accurately)
points out, that is the weak point, where the resource (shiny new P4 on
a cable modem) is run by a clueless 'user'.  They don't want to,
shouldn't need to, and often can't, keep up with the required effort to
secure their computer.  They'd rather throw $30 at it ('personal
firewall') and hope/assume.  And Linux isn't the solution for them
either, nor Mac - as a group they're unlikely to understand ANY platform
enough (or even care enough) to handle it 'properly'.

"In any sufficiently large group of people, most are idiots."

MCP.  Defenestrator.  Cynic.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html