Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Mo nopoly

From: "Michael Smith" <mike () sane com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:53:46 -0400

Do you really think you could convince the average user that they need to
know this much about security? I mean, most users see their computers
(and
the network, servers, phones, faxes, etc...) as a tool to do business
with.
Nothing else. The computers are there to do a job, or help get a job
done,
and nothing else. It is not so much that they don't know, it is that they
don't need to know.

This argument is a total crock.  Most people manage to drive cars that
remain operational, because they either learn how to do the maintenance
themselves, or they outsource it to a guy called a "mechanic".

I think the point is that most people expect their cars to be operational
and do NOT do the maintenance themselves... they DO outsource it to a
mechanic.  The average user has A LOT less control over their car than their
computer.  A car is basically a single function unit, point A to point B.
Computers never have been nor ever will be that one dimensional.  At the
most, I think we could hope for users who learn to know better than to try
to do the 'maintenance' on their computers themselves.

Here.. let's do a s/computer/cars/ on that paragraph:

Do you really think you could convince the average person that they need
know this much about fuel injectors? I mean, most people see their cars
(and
the network, servers, phones, faxes, etc...) as a tool to do business
with.
Nothing else. The cars are there to do a job, or help get a job done,
and nothing else. It is not so much that they don't know, it is that they
don't need to know.

I'll point out that the average car no longer comes with a crank to start
it, or a manual choke button that you have to remember to push back in.
The average car no longer needs major maintenance every few hundred miles.

So why are we tolerating computers that have cranks and choke buttons and
need major maintenance every few hundred hours?

Let's see....  cars have been available to the general public for about,
what, (at least) 75 years?  And computers?  Maybe 25?  I think if you look
at the progression the computer industry has made in that time, it FAR
outweighs the manual choke or crank start...

I think your paragraph above proves the point perfectly....  You'll NEVER
convince the average person that they need to know about fuel injectors.
I'll bet 5$ right now that half the people don't even know if their car HAS
fuel injectors or not.

~mike

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html