Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Bill Gates blames the victim

From: Lim Swee Tat <st_lim () stlim net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 01:53:45 +0800

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 01:51, Robert Ahnemann wrote:
Again, the message is M$ should fix their software.  Trying to automate
the patch cycle without the permission of the user is and still does
not
solve the initial problem.

Good point, but my emphasis was on people obtaining the patches in the
first place.  While yes, they might be unreliable, they at least cover
the publicized exploit.  When was the last time that a worm was
extensively spread via an undocumented hole, or even a hole that was
documented and never patched?  MS is good about fixing what it finds.
Whether or not those fixes cause further issues which require patching
is a separate issue.  As long as the patch is ahead of the virus, where
does the accountability really fall?
It's great that you think that way...  So the last I heard, a patch
eventually caused machines all over the place to shut down
automatically.  From the way you are gushing about the merits of
patching, I believe you'll rather that happens than that your machine
gets hacked, while I believe there is realistically no difference, and
would rather have the machine up for another day/month.

Ciao
ST Lim

----------( Thank god!! ... It's HENNY YOUNGMAN!! )---------- Swee ----(
)---- Tat