Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: The usefullness of IDSes (Was: Re: Is Marty Lying?)

From: "Philippe Bogaerts" <xxradar () radarhack com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:01:16 +0200

Hello,
I totally agree.  An IDS for auditing firewall or other policies can be
usefull, if properly configured. I simple hate the fact that most vendors
position their IDS product as an attack blocking device. The only thing they
can is actually RST tcp connections (sometimes).  My opnion is that is quite
a simple and basic method for doing attack blocking.

Gr