Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Hacking Zine: p62 (formatting corrected)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:37:32 -0400

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:46:20 +0545, npguy <npguy () ysgnet com>  said:
trust http://www.phrack.org!

How do we know it hasn't been hacked and a bogus issue put up, or a real issue
suppressed?

(this is where everybody who's not familiar with it should go re-read Ken Thompson's
"Reflections on Trusting Trust" (http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/)

The "unknown Air Force document" is this:

"Multics Security Evaluation: Vulnerability Analysis* by Karger and Schell
http://www.acsac.org/2002/papers/classic-multics-orig.pdf

Those who think a 30-year-old paper is irrelevant and crufty should read the
same author's retrospective: "Thirty Years Later: Lessons from the Multics
Security Evaluation" http://www.acsac.org/2002/papers/classic-multics.pdf

Trust? What's that?  Pass me the tinfoil, I need to make a helmet. ;)