Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: VeriSign's fake SMTP server for SiteFinder

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:32:20 -0400

Thus spake Richard M. Smith (rms () computerbytesman com) [22/09/03 16:24]:
Does anyone know why Verisign has set up a fake SMTP server at their
SiteFinder service to bounce email messages sent to misspelled or
expired domain names?  The fake SiteFinder SMTP server gives the
impression that it is a real SMTP server and happily accepts "To" and
"From" email addresses before rejecting a misdirected email message.

So mail doesn't sit in queues across the world, trying to contact them.

I don't quite understand what technical issues Verisign is trying to
solve here with a fake server.  Any guesses?

To provide something that is (more) RFC compliant.  The message before
responding with a 220 to your first two commands, and a 500 to your third
command.  So you could do:

    < 220 Snubby
    > I like monkeys
    < 220 Okay
    > Do you like monkeys?
    < 220 Okay
    > But I like chimpanzees better.
    < 550 Relay access denied

(I don't remember if that was the actual text, but you get the point).

They've since installed a Postfix server that at least understands SMTP, and
rejects at the proper spot.  It's still RFC-broken, however (doesn't accept
postmaster@), and it bounces mail for legitimate domains (a side effect of
the way Verisign implemented their wildcards).

  - Damian

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html