Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Signed e-mail vs. turning off HTML mail under XP

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 18:35:38 -0400

Alas, the Continue button was just text, just as the tick box to not show me
this help screen again was not there. This means I'll have to re-enable HTML
mail, and wait for the next signed mail to arrive.....to turn it off. I
wonder what will happen to messages that have been tampered with when I have
turned off HTML mail? I will probably get a warning, but will not be able to
go beyond that, since it is in ASCII and that does not (AFAIK) support nice
buttons. So in order to enable signed mail, I will have to enable HTML in my
mail....

Good evening Yossarian,

I'm sorry, do I understand correctly when you say that the mechanism for verifying / managing signed e-mail seemed to be included within the e-mail itself -- in html, no less? Although I'm unfamiliar with certificate-based digitally-signed e-mail (I'm a pgp/gpg kind of guy) I can't help but be very suspicious.

Also, you mentioned that the machine will be used for business purposes and (directly?) connected to the internet. Might I recommend against using OE for e-mail? Mozilla Thunderbird is what I recommend for Microsoft folks.

take care,

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html