Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re:The msvidctl.dll in Windows XP

From: "Tom Koehler" <tom.koehler () gmx net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:41:43 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Richard,

On my Windows XP laptop, I found a large number of ActiveX controls in the
system file msvidctl.dll which are marked safe for scripting.  I've
attached a
list of the controls in this DLL.  I'm really curious why this DLL is
installed
on my system in the first place since the laptop doesn't have a TV tuner
and why
these controls need to be marked safe for scripting.

Also does anyone know if this DLL is installed by default in all/most
Windows XP systems?
I have PC with preinstalled XP (install date 12.Dec.02) and the files are in
the
system folder and a folder called servicepackfiles (created 18.12.02 when
the
computer was already under my care) so I assume they came with the update
I did after receiving the machine.

My concern with this DLL, is that some number of security holes have
slipped by
Microsoft given the large quantity of ActiveX methods and properties that
need
to checked out here.
I'm sure there are, but I don't actively use that OS so I'm not too worried.
I have Linux and Win98SE on  two other ones and only go XP to test our
software.

cheers
tom

--