Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [PAPER] Juggling with packets: floating data storage

From: Seth Breidbart <sethb () panix com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:54:12 -0400 (EDT)

This technique has one advantage that I can see being very useful --
it is easy to delete large amounts of data quickly.  Imagine you
hear the feds knocking on your door -- you just unplug your fiber,
and let all the light (aka your data) fly out into the room.  Your
data is gone, permanently.  If the latency is a minute, then it only
takes a minute to delete everything -- all 6.5 GB of data according
to your calculations.  Show me another method that can delete 6.5 GB
a data in a completely unrecoverable manner that quickly.

Thermite.  However, it's obvious that you did it.  I can't think of
any other fast method that doesn't leave blatant physical evidence.

Seth

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html