Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Email Harvesting virus?

From: "David Vincent" <david.vincent () mightyoaks com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:31:22 -0700

A customers machine appears to be infected with some type of malware
that apparently harvests email addresses and puts them into a file named

'~'.  Just the tilde ~, no extention.  This file is created under the
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\~.  I have attached a zipped copy
of the file for refrence.

I came across the file earlier today, renamed it and copied it off to a
keychain USB drive for later analysis. Well, the file re-created itself
and the malware creating it is not immediately apparent.  I've scanned
all the running apps but I haven't had much time to investigate.

Any ideas?

Microsoft Word? :) It appears to be one of the backup files
that Word makes while you are working.

this is a side effect of the Q330994 patch for outlook express.  check it
out, that file is only a copy of your address book.  see it on tons of
machines, and i haven't found any solution to it yet.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=q330994+patch+%7E
&btnG=Google+Search

-d

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.