Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Mo nopoly

From: Jim Lane <jimlane () cs toronto edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:30:30 -0400

Maybe it takes an "old mainframer" to point this out but it depends on what
kind of functional unit you're talking about. I remember the days when, from
the users point of view, the computer was a dumb terminal and all the
intelligence (and security risk) was safely off in a locked room somewhere. We
still had security problems back then but they were a lot easier to deal with.
Yet another case where Bill Bates and his like have a lot to answer for.
Remind me again why client/server was supposed to have been a good idea? Sigh.
--
--
Jim Lane                    Question authority:

I think the point is that most people expect their cars to be operational
and do NOT do the maintenance themselves... they DO outsource it to a
mechanic.  The average user has A LOT less control over their car than their
computer.  A car is basically a single function unit, point A to point B.
Computers never have been nor ever will be that one dimensional.  At the
most, I think we could hope for users who learn to know better than to try
to do the 'maintenance' on their computers themselves.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html