Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: EartStation 5 P2P application contains malicious code

From: random nut <randnut () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:07:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Cael Abal <lists () onryou com> wrote:
Excellent job finding and documenting this feature.  As for the
developers' motivations, though, I don't think it's necessary to point
at colusion with the RIAA/MPAA.

In all honesty, I'm surprised we haven't seen *more* backdoors of this
type in various popular closed-source, network-aware apps.  I don't
condone it, but I understand the mentality:  "Our network, our rules."
Really, all it takes is one rogue developer, coupled with insufficient
code review.

What does surprise me is that you report only delete functionality and
not read/write.  If I was going to the trouble to implement naughty
features into an app like ES5, that'd be my priority.

All this does is reinforce the value of independent code auditing
(insert various pro-open-source comments here).

FYI, they have now uploaded a new ES5 installer. I haven't installed it but
you can be pretty sure that they have removed their malicious code and will
soon claim I lied all along. See my original post for the MD5 sums of the
tested programs (builds 1266 and build 2180).