Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Trojan author revealed (was: Re: ProFTPD-1.2.9rc2 remote root exploit)

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:35:24 -0400

Hrmm. Ok I'm no Sherlock Holmes but even I could see through this
'analysis'. This is obviously an elaborate attempt to soil the reputations of the fine people, dare I say heros of
information
security, at GOBBLES security.
Let's examine the case at hand:

1) Someone makes the effort of cutting up an existing public GOBBLES
shellcode. An act that requires just as much effort as writing
original opcode.

2) This cutup version is used in a 'trojan' even my grandmother
would be able to spot. (Obscure in-exploit overflows are way more
effective folks, ask HD "I pioneered screensavers" Moore).
3) Some random hero pops up on the list pointing out that
'hey, this is GOBBLES shellcode *WINK*'

Now who, on God's green earth, would recognise shellcode from
an obscure exploit that was published months ago. If they
didn't have it fresh in memory?
So I think it's rather obvious either zeroboy, or one of his
friends is responsible for this trojan. And he has some sort of
rancune towards GOBBLES. Either that or he
has a serious hardon for memorising hex opcode buffers.

Hi, Mitch -- welcome to the Internet!  Here's a tool you might find
helpful, it's called a 'Search Engine'!  ;)

A quick google for a few bytes worth of shellcode returned a few pages
of jinglebellz.c related discussion.

http://www.jikos.cz/jikos/dev/shcode.asm for example.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html