Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: JAP Wins Court Victory

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:05:27 -0400

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:10:27 +0200, Tarapia Tapioco <comesefosse () ntani firenze linux it>  said:

Ever considered that the spooks would not have
needed a court order if they knew how to crack
JAP?  It's solid code.

Note that the biggest problem the Allies had after they broke Enigma was being
*VERY* careful how they used the information, lest the Germans figure out it
had been compromized.  We intentionally let several of our ships get torpedoed
rather than let the Germans know that we had intercepted and decoded messages.

It's quite possible the spooks already HAD the decodes they needed in this
case, but had to get a court order so they could introduce the data in court
without somebody figuring out that JAP had been broken.