Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NASA.GOV SQL Injections

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:01:28 +0200

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 11:34:38PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
--On Saturday, October 18, 2003 1:50 PM -0400 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:24:59 CDT, "Schmehl, Paul L" said:

No offense meant to the fine IT people at NASA, but do you seriously
believe that the one-percenters are securing the network?  As opposed to
say, figuring out how to land a rover on Mars, how to keep astronauts
alive in space, how to overcome the long-term negative effects of zero
gravity, etc., etc.???

If the IT people are busy figuring out how to land a rover etc, then:

a) What the f--k are the *scientists* doing?
b) Who's busy keeping the IT going while the scientists aren't doing the
stuff the IT people are doing instead of their jobs?

I continue to be amazed at how misunderstood this was.  The post to which I
was responding suggested that the "one percenters" were protecting the NASA
network.  My response was that the one percenters would be the scientists,
working on space projects, not the IT people protecting the network.  Not
that NASA wouldn't have good or even great IT people, but geniuses work on
space physics.  They *don't* do the grunt work of securing networks.

I think there might be a little confusion about those "one percenters".
Whoever said that a "one percenter" in astrophysics is also a "one
percenter" in IT security? Couldn't it e that they have the very best
for both of the jobs without any overlapping?

Florian Streck
--
Today is National Existential Ennui Awareness Day.