Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: NASA.GOV SQL Injections

From: madsaxon <madsaxon () direcway com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:14:57 -0500

At 02:12 PM 10/17/03 -0400, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
The gov't in general has a terrible track record in security, primarily
due to the fact that they're not willing to pay more than "$45,000 and a
Buick"...NASA on the other hand has got the gov't throwing billions of
dollars at them so I'd hope they could afford to pay decent
rates...anyone on this list who works for NASA?  I would love to hear
them speak up on the subject.

Federal employees of NASA are subject to the same pay schedules
as other federal employees.  While agency-specific pay banding
is gradually replacing the traditional GS (general schedule) system,
one agency really can't pay much more than another for the equivalent
position.  If you compare job security and certain other less tangible
benefits, the federal government becomes a much more attractive
employer, especially for those who resisted the siren call of
ludicrous salaries during the dot com boom and are, as a result,
still comfortably employed.

As to political considerations, yes, they exist.  But except at
the highest level they really aren't any worse than corporate
politics, and often a great deal less arbitrary.

m5x

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html