Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Teenager cleared of hacking - Off Topic?

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () nuclearelephant com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:12:33 -0400

John>  I have to wonder how many companies do deals to employ hackers
John> (like the movie "Catch me if you can").

I know at least one company that doesn't.

There's a big difference between hiring a hacker to do a specific job,
and hiring someone then finding out he's hacking.  I guess it also
depends on whether you are defining a 'hacker' as a criminal hacker or
expanding it to include professionals.  Based on what I read at the URL
you provided, I would be very surprised if Intel hired a rogue criminal
hacker to test their security, but I can certainly see companies like
Intel hiring professional white-hat hackers or possibly x-"hackers" who
have learned their lesson to do the job.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html