Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Sidewinder G2

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () ghettot org>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:13:32 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Kruse, Steve wrote:

/.../ The Sidewinder technology, and its use of TE to sandbox those few
services it does run, makes the device (so far at least) impossible to
break through.  There isn't a "root" to own in a running box. Even if
you could successfully do something to sendmail, the very WORST that
could happen is your mail would be broken.  Nothing else is or could be
in any way compromised.

This worst scenario is actually quite bad, I would say; it also sounds
like there would not be much protecting my internal systems from being
further compromised using, at the very least, remote Sendmail bugs or
such.

The version of sendmail is small and so tightly locked down that it is
unlikely to be exploitable in any fashion.

A version of Sendmail? With all due respect for this program, I do not
think this is something I would recommend for running on a on-firewall
gateway... stripped down or not.

--
 Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]

   http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/current/