Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for good security

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:01:00 -0600 (CST)

        [SNIP]

It wasn't a general statement on MS security, though it was ambiguous enough.
He mixed a lot of generalisms (layered security, Windows a target because it
is more widely deployed) with a lot of non-sequitur specifics (Win2K3 hasn't
seen a lot of exploits [duh! it isn't widely deployed!  See the last
sentence!]

The "target due to large deployment" argument takes on less significance
when one considers that most every site has at least one 'router' and
cisco dominates that realm, yet, the targeting of successful cisco
exploits is certainly tons smaller then most the sploits that target
desktops.  And I use the term 'desktops' specifically, as most corps will
find their 'servers' seldom sploited like their desktop env's.  Even those
places that use alot of windows systems as 'servers'.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html