Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: SPAM and "undisclosed recipients"

From: Steve Wray <steve.wray () paradise net nz>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:14:12 +1300

[snip]
Yeah, that's exactly what I needed to know.  I have about 5 email
accounts that I regulary check, but some SPAM came in this way and was
hard to determine which account it went to.  By checking the received
header more carefully I was able to determine it.  When the
hell are we going to have a new RFC that eliminates the possibility of
SPAM and
makes it secure by default?  Is it really that difficult?

Call me offtopic but I do think it is that difficult; Its
occured to me that detecting spam is a variation of the
Turing Test (Google for it).

Spammers are trying to produce emails that look as if they
were produced by a human being and not by some massively automated
system.

Something like that.

Kris Hermansen

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.