Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for good security

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:15:51 +1300

For all his usual intelligence, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu oddly felt the
need to ad:

And for bonus points, explain how you fix the scheme so the poor sysadmin who
has to run stuff at startup is able to find the folder, but an exploit running
with 'administrator' or 'system' can't find it?

Re-read what I wrote.

I explained all that.

Like all security efforts, it is not a "perfect" solution.

It also does not work against all methods of exploitation or in all
cases of exploitation using any given method.

However, it would have saved you from a bunch of once common IE
exploits and will still save you from a huge amount of "work" done by
thousands of next-to-clueless skiddies who take overly simple PoC
exploits and are limited to altering them to simply gluing in the
delivery of their preferred RAT/bot-net agent/etc.

As I already explained all that _and_ answered your question before you
asked it, I gladly accept your bonus points...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html