Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft prepares security assault on Linu x ]

From: John Oaks <iconoclast667 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:38:50 -0800 (PST)

Microsoft comparing their current OS to an old version
of a rival product is nothing new.  It is one of the
oldest plays in their marketing playbook.  They used
the same strategy for years when comparing NT and 2000
against Netware. “Look at what Windows 2000 server can
compared to Netware 3.11."  I always enjoyed the looks
I got when I mentioned later versions of Netware in
the midst of a seminar or sales pitch by MS
salesfolks.

James

good lord... is this a joke? They compare windows
2003 server to redhat
6.0! Thats pretty damn close to apples and
oranges. How about NT4.0 to
RH6.... thats a more level playing field? Even 2k3
vs. RH9 would be a
bit more on point. I fail to see how you can
compare software that is 5
years old to something that was just released.