Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Wireless Security

From: "Patrick Doyle" <patrick.doyle () bbc co uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:40:36 -0000

Hope this question isn't off topic,

I am currently looking at securing wireless networks using Cisco hardware and wanted to check what peoples thoughts are
on security.

I have read about using LEAP and also IPSEC, my concerns about using LEAP would be that although the client and access
point send hashes of the username and password, and also dynamically create WEP keys, the process is still vulnerable
to brute force attacks.  Now i know you can lock down the Access Point (AP) to specific MAC addresses, however, in our
environment i can see wireless being used for meeting rooms etc, so the users would be random which would mean the
constant addition / removal of MACs to the AP which would probably not be possible or practical all of the time.
Although policy could dictate that when a wireless card is given out, the MAC address in added to the AP, however if
you have multiple APs in different areas of building, being administered by different IT depts then this could soon
become be a problem.

To me IPSEC looks like be the better solution using SecurID tokens (one time passwords) to authenticate users, any
thoughts would be appreciated.

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC
unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in
any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html