Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ALERT WEBDAV worm on the loose

From: "Johannes Ullrich" <jullrich () sans org>
Date: 07 May 2003 08:11:19 -0400

sorry to be the semantic freak (I am surely not the spelling or grammar
guy). But in order to call this a 'worm', it needs
to self replicate. What you may have on your hand at this
point is most likely a tool to collect bots for some kind
of irc bot network (just guessing here) based on the small
number of sources at work here.

On the other hand, I am seeing some advances in this type of
exploits around. It maybe that the kids finally learned to
build better 'offset libraries' to make this exploit more
efficient.

A) the host inserted in the string is the IP address, and not the
hostname (any reference to your web site would have been via name)

B) this worm has attacked 6 different networks so far, in one case hitting
740 ip address on one network and 504 ip addresses on another network.

C) worm has attempted to contact hosts that are not running a web server
(scanning)

D) Once worm finds a web server, it only sends the search string to MS
servers.

For more information on worm, see:
see MS announcement of vulnerability March 17th:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-007.asp

For lists of the source ip addresses and networks attacked, see:

http://www.hackertrap.net/IP.pl?IP=216.5.78.37
and
http://www.hackertrap.net/IP.pl?IP=12.210.139.232

--