Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PGP vs. certificate from Verisign

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:45:50 -0400

[snip]

Google provided a good place to brush up on the incident.
http://www.amug.org/~glguerin/opinion/revocation.html

Quite untrue - see the impressive paper of Kurt Seifried on the Topic -
Ending Trust in Certificates
(http://www.developer.com/tech/article.php/772511)

From the security bulletin issued by Microsoft:

"The certificates could be used to sign programs, ActiveX controls, Office
macros, and other executable content. Of these, signed ActiveX controls and
Office macros would pose the greatest risk, because the attack scenarios
involving them would be the most straightforward. Both ActiveX controls and
Word documents can be delivered via either web pages or HTML mails. ActiveX
controls can be automatically invoked via script, and Word documents can be
automatically opened via script unless the user has applied the Office
Document Open Confirmation Tool.
VeriSign has revoked the certificates, and they are listed in VeriSign's
current Certificate Revocation List (CRL). However, because VeriSign's
code-signing certificates do not specify a CRL Distribution Point (CDP), it
is not possible for any browser's CRL-checking mechanism to download the
VeriSign CRL and use it. Microsoft is developing an update that rectifies
this problem. The update package includes a CRL containing the two
certificates, and an installable revocation handler that consults the CRL on
the local machine, rather than attempting to use the CDP mechanism."

The revocation path was clearly obtainable and verifiable. There was no way implemented for this to be verified in the MS Crypto API. http://crl.verisign.com/

So MS had not built their software correctly, agree. But this is NOT the
real issue. The blame is on MS in this one - hey, that's normal, we allways
do that - BUT - read carefully here: <snip>  Verisign's code signing
certficates do not specify a CDP.</snip> So had the MS code worked, there
still would not have been a CDP. Like your link says: "[...] no Microsoft
software is capable of automatically obtaining the Certificate Revocation
List (CRL) listing those two bogus certificates, because there's no
revocation infrastructure. " i.e. no CDP. Since Verisign is the issuer -
they must control or at least specify the CRL distribution Point. This is
the joke of X509 PKI - they don't exist. So you now can enable the checking
in MS code, hurrah!, but the CDP's still do not exits, so it will not check
anything. Maybe good enough for you, not for me.

They do exist and have... http://crl.verisign.com/

They are clearly obtainable and the location should have been known and used by MS when deciding to include the CA certs in the browser and creating the CryptoAPI. The fact that the CA certs are included in the software is not good enough for me, you have to read the CPS, know the liabilities, and then accept them IMHO. BUT that makes all this crypto stuff hard to use. I think we are better off than we were but not as good off as we should be.

Of course, there are a ton of other arguments that can be had about this, it is crypto ya know... but the standard and accepted practice was not followed by the company that made the decision to include and provide this inhereted trust and then incorrectly relied on the infrastructure it broke.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html