Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: [NTBUGTRAQ] Win 2003 DNS requests makes replies over 512 byte PIX limit

From: David Terrell <dbt () meat net>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 00:15:29 -0500

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:47:01AM +0100, John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:
I've mentioned this issue before on this list (see the thread "SQL Slammer -
lessons learned"), but I'll repeat it again. Your internal resolver only
needs to connect to port 53 of external machines to send email to them. The
connection back to your machine will be on a higher port. The Pix will use
stateful filtering to allow the connection to the higher port (ie it detects
that the connection was originated from the inside).

Try "show conn prot udp" (or "show conn") on the firewall to see where the
connections are really going. Even "netstat -a" on the server should give
you some information about connections.

'protocol fixup dns 53' (from memory, I fortunately no longer admin
PIX firewalls for a living...) would affect both incoming and
outgoing DNS packets, regardless of what the outgoing query port
was...

--
David Terrell            |
Prime Minister, NebCorp  | Gary Hart for President!