Full Disclosure mailing list archives

SAP R/3, account locking and RFC SDK

From: Nicolas Gregoire <ngregoire () exaprobe com>
Date: 04 Mar 2003 16:54:46 +0100

Hi,

I wrote a networked password checker for SAP R/3, mainly based on the
sapinfo program provided by SAP and using the RFC (Remote Function Call)
API.

In a default install of SAP R/3, three bad login/password attempts in
the SAPGUI will kill the GUI. After 4 SAPGUI deaths (4*3 = 12 attempts),
the tested account is locked (UFLAG=128 in SAPR3.USR02).

My problem is that, with the RFC API, I can check as much login/password
combo as I want, without locking the target account. Once the password
is found, I just have to use SAPGUI to log in the SAP system.

So, IMO and as far as I tested it, account locking isn't working via the
API provided by the SDK RFC. Could somebody confirm this behaviour ?

This was tested on Linux for the client side and on Win2K for the server
side. The release of SAP R/3 is 46C/D.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Gregoire ----- Consultant en Sécurité des Systèmes d'Information