Full Disclosure mailing list archives

adobe password protect.

From: Attica <attica () stackheap org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:12:04 -0500

Dunno if anyone has seen this before, or a variation thereof, if so, sorry
for the duplication.

I received a password protected .pdf file.  I'm running Mac OS X, and the
default viewer is preview.  Upon opening the doc, I got a password prompt
telling me that I could view the doc and print it, but I couldn't copy/paste
anything.  So I try to open it in Acrobat Reader, and sure enough, the edit
commands are greyed out.

Well, Mac OS X gives you the ability to save any document as a pdf, so I did
that and saved it as another pdf file.  And now, I can copy to my heart's
content.  Evidently that copy-protection isn't carried forward in this
operation.

Not very technical, and probably trivial, but it might be nice to know...

~S