Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Advances in Spamming Techniques

From: David Maxwell <david () crlf net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:30:16 -0400

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:41:16PM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:38, security snot wrote:

Recently I've also observed certain advances on bypassing spam filters,
which are being actively exploited out in the wild.  Since this is
apparently a serious security-related matter (unsolicited email) I thought
I might share the body of this email with this list, so that everyone can
know what to watch out for in the future, and begin to develop better
antispam security filters.

None of this will get past Bayesian filters.

However, a related technique which I've seen lately is that of appending
a couple of paragraphs of non-spam text, in an attempt to out-weigh the
spamminess of the other content.

It's clear that (at least some of) the spammers to enough experimenting
to conclude that this works against some spam-defense systems.

--
David Maxwell, david () vex net|david () maxwell net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html