Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Bankruptcy Court IT Security Contact

From: "Bernie, CTA" <cta () hcsin net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:53:39 -0400

Does anyone know the email address of the person responsible for
the Security of the information systems of the United States
Bankruptcy Court?

I attempted to write them and bring attention to a simple
security/privacy flaw in their system, which if exploited
enables identity thieves to easily obtain personal and private
information, including a debtors' PHI (Protected Health
Information) that is protected from unauthorized disclosure
pursuant to HIPAA Privacy Rules.

While putting aside the HIPAA issues, and the fact the debtor
must disclose certain information about their estate to
"interested parties" and the general public, this may not appear
significant from the standpoint of a Chapter 7 debtor. However,
such flaw facilitates Identity Theft and may expose certain
"private" information of a chapter 7, 11 or 13 debtor, to a "non-
interested party", unjustly placing the debtors' financial
assets at risk.

I would like to give the person(s) accountable time to address
the flaw or respond before it is fully disclosed.

tic… tic… tic…
-
Bernie
Chief Technology Architect
Chief Security Officer
cta () hcsin net
Euclidean Systems, Inc.
// "There is no expedient to which a man will not go
//    to avoid the pure labor of honest thinking."
//     Honest thought, the real business capital.
//      Observe> Think> Plan> Think> Do> Think>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html