Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How to easily bypass a firewall...

From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop () alert infoplease com>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 13:02:18 -0400

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 12:35, Kain wrote:
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 12:01:42PM -0400, compguruman () mail comcast net wrote:
At 03:49 PM 7/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:
5. Firewall dialog box uses random numbers / letters represented by graphics
that the user has to enter in a password field if the password is not
correct sound alarm, halt system.

know of anything that does this?
Well, the signup procedures for some services, such as Yahoo, Paypal etc do
this, but they have the advantage that your application trying to spoof the
response cannot access the memory space of the running program.

Of course this does not work if you are blind using voice reader (or
braille reader) to access the website. Same would apply to a firewall.

I think that sort of design may preclude the product from US government
purchases, but that's just a guess on my part.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop () alert infoplease com>
Pearson Education/Information Please

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html