Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 07:47:20 -0800

Henrik Lund Kramshøj wrote:
Why do you consider it terrorism only when people are hurt directly?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=terrorism

Look at the definition of terrorism. It includes concepts like coercing society or government, through violence. The terrorist has this intention to coerce.

For the cyber bit, just tack "on the Internet" to the end of the definition. (Like concatenating "in bed" to fortune cookie fortunes.) You can't yet commit actual violence as most people think of it on the Internet yet, so I'll assume it means attacking computers.

But my point is that for it to be cyber-terrorism, the worm author had to intend to change people's behavior through fear. We have no indication that was the author's intention. I also don't think you can say anyone is in terror. (Well, people may be afraid to put SQL Server on the Internet with no firewalling, but that's an appropriate, rational fear.)

                                                BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html