Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Security Industry Under Scrutiny #4

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:19:31 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, hellNbak wrote:

        [SNIP]

The problem is, that we don't have a law enforcement for the Internet.
Well, at least not a competant one.  So, people are forced to arm
themselves (protect themselves) or be victimized.  To make the problem
even worse is that we have politicians who don't understand the first
thing about technology trying to make policy and laws that just don't make
sense.  Combine that with the FUD over cyber-terrorism and things will get
much worse before they get better.

And combine it all with an amero-centric focus and you piss off the rest
of the connected world.  The fact that the 'internet' is not an american
property for american legal/governmental controls hinders this
internet-policing idea to the utmost.  Standards and such are the way to
get things into a workable mode accross all the borders in question.  Then
again, perhaps the proposal here is for a cyber version of the UN?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html