Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cryptome Hacked!

From: Ian Eyberg <eyberg () umr edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:54:55 -0600

greets-
  John Young an extremist? How about an educated and willing advocate of freedom of speech. Also, I have a hard time
belieivng that you can hold such a title as
Systems Administrator, Facility Security Officer without knowing several very good methods of ensuring integrity of
software--or are you just holding an informal
sign saying you deleted the files?

-cyn0n

-----Original Message > From:
full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com > [mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of Sung J.
Choe > Sent: Thursday, 27 February 2003 12:10 p.m.
To: 'full-disclosure () lists netsys com'
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Cryptome Hacked!

Cryptome.org, a site for privacy enthusiasts and leftists alike, was
apparently hacked today.  Their server is up but "all files were
deleted".  Besides the usual anti-American/anti-government vitriol that
is usually found at Cryptome.org, they also distribute crypto software.
This brings up the following question: What is the best method for
ensuring the integrity of software which require a high level of trust?
I am almost sure that any crypto software distributed by such extremists
as John Young (operator of cryptome.org) has been tampered with in some
way.  Does anybody else share this opinion?

| Sung J. Choe <schoe[at]oicinc.com>, TICSA        |
| Systems Administrator, Facility Security Officer |
                    | Oceanic Imaging Consultants, Inc. |
                    | Phone #: (808) 539-3634 x3634     |
568D CAD6 53A0 92E6 4A2A  4E87 3BA0 5F90 37BB 8EE7

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html