Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen () dett de>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:01:57 +0100

* Paul Schmehl wrote on Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:38 -0600:
On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 06:55, John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:
How the ports are managed by the ISPs is up to them. We have
a managed router where we block everything we can without
breaking legitimate access.  However, not having a practical
option to block certain ports is a problem.  My point was on
the allocation and use by TCP/IP stacks.

Can you think of a legitimate reason why ISPs should allow
ports 135-139/TCP/UDP to be open to the Internet?  How about
port 445/UDP?  Many ISPs now block port 25/TCP (for obvious
reasons.)  Why not other service ports?

Are that InternetServiceProviders or InternetServiceCensors?

I feel free to implement an own strange private protocol using
UDP 135 and I pay the ISP for routing this. I don't see any
responsibility for ISPs to care about the content.

oki,

Steffen

--
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.