Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ComputerWorld yanks Slammer worm terrorist story

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel.houghton () sourcefire com>
Date: 06 Feb 2003 13:29:35 -0500

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 12:56, Kevin Spett wrote:
This is a no-brainer.  Terrorists want explosions and violent death, not
worms that knock out internet access in Korea.

Terrorists also want publicity, claiming to be the perpetrators of
things like the slammer worm gets them publicity whether it is true or
not.

It occurred to me that if it were a terrorist group who was responsible
for the slammer worm then it probably would have done far more damage
than it actually did. After reading the article (I got to it before it
was pulled) it seemed extremely unlikely to me that the claims were
true. Hopefully the people responsible for publishing stories like this
will be a little more careful in future.

Kevin.